Saturday, July 14, 2012

10 weeks, three days

I like being a dad. It's hard to not brag about your kid. Miniscule things: "My kid likes to smile", "You should see my son kick", "He can really pound four ounces of milk", etc.

The first eight weeks did a number on my blood pressure and added multiple specks of grey hairs to the sides of my head. It's really hard knowing there are so many support groups/networks/mommy clubs for the women, but I don't really think I'd try to seek a men's group out. (I believe they do have these and they're called bars)

At ten weeks now, I'm finding that I can cope a little better. The man-child is becoming more bearable, my wife seems (somewhat) happier, and I'm trying to take things in stride.

I was never a baby hater, but know so many people that I've witnessed over the years who turn their noses up at the little ones. I like to acquaint my son with the general public... I want him to know how bad the public sucks at an early age, so he'll want to stay in more in these first few years.

I assumed as a dad, my perspective on my day-to-day life would change, that my already insatiable work ethic would shoot through the roof, when in fact, I've found myself making faces with him at 6:30am, wishing I could stay home all day.

I won't lie to every prospective father out there, it's a bear those first two months. Would I do it all over again? Yes, hopefully two or three more times. However, we were spoiled from the get-go at the hospital and it made that first night at home feel like we'd I'd be lucky if he made it through the first weekend unscathed.

There are endless nights of guilt when the only milk producer has to wake from fifty minutes of sleep, the exhaustion of a full work day and commute home only to put the dad hat on, wondering why he only cries when he's in your arms, wondering if you're loved ones actually love you, etc.

Fatherhood has changed me for the better, I really do like to think this. I don't exhibit it as often as I probably should, but there are no words that describe the _________ you feel when you lock eyes with your son on a changing table, are able to soothe his cry, read him a book even though he doesn't comprehend the words your saying, check his movements in the backseat mirror every ten miles on a long car trip, or just watching him sleep on his belly (oh yeah, we allow that).

Here's to ten weeks down and another ten decades for my dear son!

No comments:

Post a Comment