Monday, May 7, 2012

0 Years, 5 Days

And finally the moment we've all been waiting for--

...drumroll please...

Reid William Conley was born on Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012!

Some of Reid's birthday stats:
  • Reid arrived after two failed inductions (otherwise known as nearly 48 hours of labor) and a successful c-section.
  • He was born at 39 weeks, 1 day
  • He was born at 1:22 pm by Dr. Frederickson, who wore skinny jeans and ballet flats under her scrubs.
  • Several fantastic musicians were featured during the surgical birth, including No Doubt, Alanis Morrissette, and Blues Traveler.
  • He was 20 inches long and a no-so-monstrous 8 lbs, 3 oz
  • He had (has) some fine dark hair and dark slate blue eyes.
  • He was born with his fist in his mouth.
  • All of his grandparents were at the hospital, Miami Valley Hospital, when he was born.
I know it's been a while since I posted, but let's be honest, I've been a little busy.  In fact, you might notice that my first available moment (now) happens to be 3:15 in the morning.  I just got finished feeding baby boy.  He's sleeping soundly right next to me, and he is perfection.  Adam and I are 100% taken by Reid, and we can't stop looking at the tiny product of our love.  I know, that's a total gag-me kind of comment. I'm sorry, I can't help it right now.  Blame it on the hormones (can't blame it on being pregnant anymore!)

Our birth story, went something like this:
Sunday (4/29) we decided to really sell Puss, our two door Honda Civic to the neighbor across the street.  We promptly deposited the check and drove to Kings Honda amd bought a brand-spanking new Accord.  That car is what made us feel a little more like official adults... parents... grown ups who would choose a safe sedan over a sporty, fast little car.  We did opt for the fully loaded (read heated leather seats) version, so we're not total duds.

On Monday (4/30) I slept in a little, finished some last minute chores, then went to the "surprise" shower at school that my students threw me.  It was SO sweet and over the top.  They made an owl cake and cupcakes, a cake and cookies with swedish fish, baby shower games, decorations, mood music (they chose Carrie Underwood), and there was a full table of gifts.  I was pretty blown away.  That evening we drove away from our house as a family of two for the last time.  We checked into the hospital at 8, were moved upstairs by 8:30, and a long stream of IVs, questions, and nursing staff took over by 9.

Monday night through Wednesday morning consisted of gels applied to my uterus (to ripen it), IV bags of Pitocin (to several painful contractions).  After the first induction was considered failed on Tuesday, we were given the option to start over and try again, go straight to c-section, or go home and try again later in the week.  I was definitely NOT going home without a baby, and I wasn't ready to jump into surgery, so we decided to try again.  The only positive out of that was that they let me get some food in my belly.  (I had half a pepperoni calzone from Milanos, if you wondered.) After I ate, we started everything over again.  I made it up to 1 minute apart contractions and was pretty miserable with pain.  I about died when my final check showed my progress was only 2, almost 3.  I was given the choices again, and decided for the c-section.  After the long 2 days, the c-section happened pretty quick.  In less than 15 minutes, I was prepped and wheeled into a freezing cold room where I began to shake violently (probably from cold, anxiety, and excitement).

And the rest has just been a whirlwind of elation, love, and learning.  Adam and I have both been pinching ourselves, although tonight most of the pinching is to just stay awake.

Below are some of the pictures we purchased from the hospital newborn shoot.  Enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! He looks adorable!!! I hope your memories will not be clouded by that birth story and that soon the word 'delivery' will be at the far back of your mind.
    Your pictures look amazing, almost angelic! I love them! I can't wait to hear about taking little Reid home, Adam's first diaper change, bf-ing, etc. Well, all the mommy-stuff actually.

    Somehow my RSS did not pick up on your latest post so I didn't see it until now and I have been checking every.day.since.last.week!

    I am still baking away on my little boy, due tomorrow, and no signs yet. As in N.O. exclamation mark.

    Again, congratulations and enjoy, fall in love, marvel and well... get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopped by your blog to double check your nursery decor(shopping for Reid!!) and saw you had an updated post! Yay! Loved reading this. Can't wait to chat on the phone. :)

    ReplyDelete