Friday, April 27, 2012

38 weeks, 3 days

Today is my last day of (school) work until October 22nd.  Wow!  I'm going to miss my 6th grade dream team.

I didn't get a chance earlier to post my 38 week pictures, so here is a little montage:
  


Yesterday Adam and I went in for our last check up before baby.  I was checked internally to see if I was dilated.  I was not expecting it to be any different than an annual exam kind of check.  Whoa buddy, I was totally wrong.  I won't get too graphic... but it was definitely much more... intense.

And disappointing.  After the OB finished spelunking in the baby cave, she proclaimed I was exactly ZERO centimeters dilated.  Nothing.  Zilch.  Nada.  Unless something happened between then and Monday night, I would be starting from scratch, which would probably mean a loooong labor.  Her words, I believe, were, "be prepared to spend a few more days than planned at the hospital.  Your labor could be 48 hours."  Awesome, right?  

So the plan is this:  Go in Monday night at 8pm.  After I get settled in they will apply a gel (dad said some kind of algae??) that will ripen my cervix.  Tuesday morning, around 5am, I will start Pitocin, with labor starting soon after.  The OB said that if I go through a day of Pitocin without enough progress, they will either start over with gels and Pitocin AGAIN or go to c-section.  I'm praying for a little natural progress this weekend (I did around 2 hours of exercise ball bouncing last night) so that we don't have this super long labor.  I guess we'll just have to see though...Perhaps if you're the praying type you could send a little prayer out my way for a speedy, safe, and healthy delivery in the next few days.  :)

By this time next week I hope to be cuddling my baby boy.  Maybe I'll even post a picture for you all.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment