Saturday, October 29, 2011

12 weeks, 4 days

We're almost over the first hurdle--1st trimester.  Some books/ phone apps say I'm already in the 2nd trimester, others say I won't be until the end of the 13th week/ beginning of the 14th week.  Either way, we're nearly there and I'm feeling very relieved about that.

At our 11 week appointment with Dr. Bidwell (the RE), we officially graduated.  We received a graduation certificate and an engraved silver baby spoon.  It was incredibly thoughtful and sweet.  We were given the go-ahead to call the regular OB/GYN and set up our next appointment.  I asked my RE if he would rather just be my OB and then I could continue to come every 2 weeks for ultrasounds.  He laughed in my face and said no.  What a meanie.

Here is the 11 week photo of little nugg (he/she is the size of a plum and is as long as my thumb at this point):


We had our first OB appointment on Thursday.  We arrived a little early and proceeded to wait in the waiting room for over an hour.  We watched every single other person in the room (10 or so people) get called back before us.  I wouldn't care except that I still had to be at school by 11:45 (and by this time it was after 10am).  We were finally called back and I got my annual exam plus we listened to the baby's heartbeat on the Doppler.  NO ultrasound.  What a crock, right?  I mean, I was warned that most people don't get more than 1 or 2 u/s in their whole pregnancy, but at this point I've already had 4... and now that I've had a taste of the royal treatment, I'd like it to continue.  Our next appointment is at week 16, the day before Thanksgiving.  Then after that, we'll have our 20 week anatomy scan.  That appointment will be days before Christmas (unless I can talk them into an earlier one ;) ).

And as for how I feel... I feel pretty good.  I've had some splitting headaches, and sometimes I'm terribly drained at the end of the day... but that's about it.  I haven't gained any weight, but I look more like a heifer than ever.  I'm not complaining... I know it could be much, MUCH worse!

1 comment:

  1. I was also confused by the whole when-the-trimesters-begin. But, the easiest way to figure it out is 40 weeks/3 = 13.3 days for each trimester.

    So at 13 weeks and 3 days is your first trimester...(starting your second at 13 weeks 4 days). At 26 weeks 6 days you're done your second trimester (so at 27 weeks you're in your third trimester).

    ReplyDelete